Thursday, July 26, 2007

Ohio: A Photo Essay

For a state with no ocean, these people sell an awful lot of lighthouse stuff. And saltwater taffy. Yes, I know the lake is really big, but its not an ocean. I don't care if its like an ocean.

The Amish make some great cheese. And they are not stingy with their samples. Hundreds of teeny cheese cubes everywhere! I thought I was in heaven.

And by the way: Rainbow sherbet flavored cream cheese is every bit as nasty as it sounds. Trust me.

Cleveland fans get cranky when they lose. Especially when they are sitting in front of a row of Boston fans. They also don't seem too thrilled with the original dirt dog, Trot Nixon. He must be sad out there, what with the weird accents and all. But it was a heck of a game, and the Jake is a pretty cool stadium. (The Jake is a cool name for a stadium, by the way. "The Fen" just doesn't seem to work very well).

Drive thru liquor stores = brilliant! Plus, they sell live bait & dog food. And, three different kinds of Zima (if you're into that kind of crap, er, stuff).

One stop shopping, and you don't even have to leave the car!


People in Ohio (Ohioans?) know how to cook my favorite things. Sausage Gravy & Biscuits. Chicken & Noodles over mashed potatoes. Who comes up with these things? (Aside from Bob Evans, of course). I'm fairly sure my ginormous breakfast was at least 1,500 calories. But, I can't find the info on Bob's site, so I'll just say it was 300 and call it a day.



Fireworks are legal to buy, but are illegal to light.

Define that logic. (Best sign ever, by the way).




Dollar dogs don't taste great, but they're only a dollar. 6 per person limit though, which was a bit sad. I heard they sold 27,000 hot dogs. That's a lot of, well, whatever actually goes in hot dogs.









The beers at the Jake were only slightly less expensive than at Fenway. But they're twenty four ounces. And they sell them in the stands. Unfortunately, they pour the big cans into a cup. I love beers in cans as big as my head, so I was a bit disappointed.

The Amish also know their wine. Which kind of surprised me. Goes well with their cheese. And, if you wrap a bottle in a sweatshirt really well, it will survive the flight to Boston.

Basically, I can't say for sure if Cleveland rocks or not as we were only there for a few hours. But this lamp in a downtown window definitely does rock. Careful! Its Fra-gee-lee... that must be Italian!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd drink too if I were Amish. I'd probably hide a flask in my bib.

Anonymous said...

Nice. Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

A.) Drive-thru liquor stores are my favorite part of my annual trips to Ohio.

B.) I have that lamp in my living room.

Julie said...

Hmmm...maybe one day the Amish will run a drive through liquor store. Wait, maybe not.

Jane, that doesn't surprise me.

I could be your Professor said...

I'm glad my home state treated you well.

And though we may get grumpy when we lose, at least we aren't fair weather Philly fans. Oh, and my Boston friends once had a "Yankees Suck" chant experience at a Dave Matthews concert so I don't think you Bostonians are much better :)

Julie said...

Pro, this is true. While I'm amused by random Yankees Suck chants, I don't get them, and they are kind of embarrassing.