Saturday, September 1, 2007

Get Out Your Brooms




After three games in the Bronx, the Yankees swept the Sox in a pitiful series. The Sox now only have a five game lead (which really saddens me, because I have been dying to title a post "Nine Games" ala Ferris Bueller). I'd have to check, but I'm not even sure if the Sox lead at any point in any game this series.


And who is this Joba dude the Yankees have pitching? I'm going to assume he did not really mean to throw the ball at Kevin Youkilis' head. I'm going to assume he didn't mean to do it twice. For his own good, I hope its true (I'm in my pjs, menacingly cracking my knuckles as I type that). APparently, MLB assumes otherwise, as he has been suspended for two games.


After the slamming we did of the "other" Sox last weekend, I was hoping for at least a win. Would that have been too much to ask for? I realize there is no reason to panic here, but its a bit discouraging to not be able to pull it together with a month or so left in the season, against a team we'll quite probably have to face in the playoffs.


So what now? The waiting game begins. The Sox lost last night, but so did the Yanks. Phew -- still at 5 games. I really think it will be this way throughout September, as the happy May days of 11 game lead are long behind us. But that's okay. That's what September is all about.
PS -- J took the picture at the top of this post after the parade when the Sox won the Series in 2004. Its hard to see, but there's a couple of guys hanging a broom out the window of their apartment.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Joba is my favorite American. But I'm sure he didn't mean to do that. I mean, he's a nice kid, plus what would it be in retaliation for? Bee-zaar.

The MLB suspension is actually pretty light since he couldn't have played for two games anyway, what with the "Joba rules." But I really don't get the whole thing.

Julie said...

I can't imagine why he would have thrown at Youk on purpose. Who doesn't like Youk? It is all just strange.

Anonymous said...

Well, I didn't say he *liked* the guy, just that it makes no sense to hit him. Kind of like me with George Steinbrenner.