Thursday, September 6, 2007

A little ego boost

Yesterday, I went for a run after work instead of sweating it out on the treadmill. I have a nice little loop that involves a bike path, swarms of tourists (okay, maybe twenty of them) and America's most disappointing landmark.

As I ran, I looked at the sidewalk now and again to make sure I wasn't going to fall flat on my face or step in dog poop. And every now and again, I'd see something written on the sidewalk in chalk. Things like "You are so beautiful" (awww, thanks!), "I am so proud of you" (well, yes, my 11 minute miles are pretty impressive), and "I can't wait to see you again" (this one freaked me out a bit, especially when a homeless man winked at me a half mile later).

It made me wonder who took the time to write these messages with his cute little sidewalk chalk, and who they were meant for. Did she see the notes? Do others run those streets and feel like the streets are talking to them, as I do? Will the homeless man ever find true love?

I never said running doesn't get boring at times. So I'm grateful to whoever wrote the notes for keeping me occupied. And gave me a bit of an ego boost, along with the "I am beautiful" earworm.

No comments: